Our Community BBQ Program supports local community groups and non-profit organizations. We welcome the opportunity to be involved and help build a stronger community through fundraising programs that enrich the lives of community members. If you are looking to host a BBQ, Homestead has equipment and in-kind donations to help make your events successful.
**Homestead Co-op BBQ's are currently available on-site at the Carman, La Salle & Treherne Food Stores. Portage area groups will need to host the BBQ at an off-site location.
BBQ will be rented and provided on a first come first serve basis.
Community BBQ Program (Free to Use*)
Through an application process, the community BBQ will be free to use for fundraising purposes, pending certain conditions. If your group does not meet these conditions, the cost of the BBQ rental is $75 per day.
- Proof of Permit by Health Inspector prior to taking BBQ away
- BBQ to stay within City Limits/Homestead Co-op’s trading area
- BBQ is used for non-profit or community group
- All product (meat, buns, pop, water, condiments, cutlery, etc.) must be purchased from the Co-op
Damage Deposit: $150
The deposit is to cover such things as:
- Returned Cleanliness (Wiped down, Grease trap cleaned)
- Equipment in working order
- Pictures identifying the condition of the BBQ going out and again pictures taken to identify the condition of the BBQ coming Back
- Canopy (if required)
Co-op Community BBQ Bundle
Co-op will donate to start the approved group off (using Co-op brand products wherever possible):
- Propane (2 x 30lb tanks)
- 3 dozen 12 pack pop (Co-op brand wherever possible)
- 1 dozen 12 pack Co-op water
- 2 packages of Co-op Smokies
Co-op will include the following for the event:
- Have BBQ ready for pick up at the white shed in our Portage Food Store parking lot
- Ensure the propane tanks are full
- Tent to be loaded into vehicle (if needed)
- Provide pail for sanitization purposes.
- Provide Water Test Strips to use to test sanitizing solution.
- Provide water jug and spigot for hand wash station.
- Provide a catch basin
- Provide some paper towel
• Tongs x 2
• Spatula x 2
• Scraper for Grease Tray
Charge Back List
If any of the items provided with the BBQ are missing or damaged upon return, the following fees will be deducted from the deposit:
- Pail/Basin--$ 2
- Water Jug--$10
- Tongs --$10 each
- Spatula --$10 each
- Thermometer --$10
- Scraper for Grease Tray--$10
If BBQ is not returned to satisfactory standards, the following fees may be applied:
- Clean up fee of $50
- Damage to Temperature controls- $30 each
- Any damage to the structure of the BBQ- cost of repairs
- Any Damage to the Tent- cost of repairs
**Please return the BBQ at least 1 hour before closing
For the Group:
The following recommendations are up to the community group to monitor. This piece is also guided by the permit the groups will receive to hold the BBQ’s.
- Food Preparation
- Only reheating, hot holding, and/or cold holding of precooked
and ready to eat foods (hot dogs, precooked burger patties, precooked sausages) is allowed
- Use food handling utensils (tongs, spoons, spatulas, etc.) or disposable gloves to minimize manual contact. Discard gloves as often as necessary to prevent contamination of food and wash hands in between glove changes
- Ensure there is a metal stem thermometer
- All cooked products should reach internal temperature of 74 degrees Celsius or higher
- Hot hold temperature is 60 degrees Celsius or higher
- Food must be stored in food grade covered containers, packaging, or display enclosures
We welcome applications from:
- Non-profit/registered charitable organizations exempt from taxation under the Canada Income Tax Act, whose programs and services benefit our community
- Not-for-profit community groups and youth organizations (Non-registered are also considered)
- Please note that someone on your team must have a Co-op membership to participate in this program, and that your group’s purpose should align with our Co-op’s values of Integrity | Excellence | Responsibility.
- We also encourage all groups to read our Donation and Sponsorship Guidelines before applying.
**For-profit businesses are not eligible for this program, nor are any registered charities, non-profit groups, and community organizations operating outside Homestead Co-op's trading area. For-profit groups and individuals can still rent the BBQ for $75/per day with the $150 damage deposit. No free product bundle will be provided to for-profit groups.
How it works
- Complete the online application form a minimum of two weeks in advance of your fundraising event.
- Recipients are chosen at the discretion of Homestead Co-op. Preference is given to causes and organizations that align with Co-op’s values.
Apply Here to Rent the BBQ.
We Are Co-op
Homestead Co-op, like other community-minded businesses, receives numerous requests for donations. Please allow a minimum of 2 weeks to review your requests and respond. Homestead Co-op works hard to assist in as many community organizations as possible, however due to the high volume of requests received, not all worthwhile proposals will be approved. Such a response does not reflect upon the value of your organization and the valuable service you provide.
Homestead is built on a foundation of community involvement and recognizes and values the responsibility of providing support for important activities in the communities we serve: Austin, Carman, La Salle, MacGregor, Oakville, Portage la Prairie, and Treherne.